Monday, September 13, 2010

OPEN LETTER TO FACEBOOK

Dear FaceBook -

Please stop improving your website. I know constant improvements can justify your place in the universe and provide jobs in a bad economy, but I think your place in the universe is sufficiently intact and needs no justification - just be. If you want to continue providing jobs, then perhaps instead of tweaking and re-tweaking an already viable site, why not set your sights on developing the next big thing?

Because here's the deal - your improvements do not enhance my use of the website. And isn't that the only reason, the Excalibur if you will, of web development? Enhancing user experience? It is. We all know it is. And so, you are treading close to the big FAIL.

In particular, I would like to mention that every time my mouse slides over your page, a pop-up appears - a box with a persons profile picture and buttons to click to add as a friend or to send a message. COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. We all know how to click on a persons name or picture should we desire to send them a message or add them as a friend. We, your users, are not idiots. These pop-ups, like all pop-ups in the entire world, are annoying. Really, you should know better. Shame on you. In addition to annoying, these particular pop-ups linger, blocking the content I wish to see. Double shame on you.

So to re-cap, you have:
  1. Annoyed me

  2. Underestimated my intelligence

  3. Blocked content

  4. Failed to optimize my user experience (UX)

  5. And, Annoyed me (worth mentioning again, I think)


Thank you for your website which has and continues to re-connect me with people - both those I want and those I don't. But, please stop with the annoyance.

Sinserely,

Auburn-Daze

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Tanvi Patel said...

I love this letter Patti! I totally agree that Facebook needs to stop "updating" because their changes end up more confusing than useful. I get irritated with all the shifting around of things. Mostly, I can't find anything anymore. =o/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home