Wednesday, July 22, 2009

NEW FLYER

I've been looking at signage lately. There are signs everywhere, little tiny messages, giant billboards, but we have a unique capacity to filter most of it out. I remember seeing a photo of La Cienega Blvd. in L.A. - it was taken near the 10 freeway and looking east up to West Hollywood. Practically all that was visible were signs. Hundreds of them. This was shocking because I worked and lived right off of La Cienega, and drove up and down it at least twice a day, and yet I never saw the signs. It was like I had blinders on the whole time - and I did, because when we are looking for something in particular, we have a tunnel vision that edits out all the junk that doesn't pertain. If we were just hanging out, looking at the view from the vantage point of the photographer, we would probably let our eyes rest on the most pleasing part of the scenery - this hills in the background, or a particularly large building, and still not see the signs.

Anyway - the signs are everywhere, even this little gem, which I had never seen before even though it is on all the newer buses in the Metro sysem, and I ride the Metro buses every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home