Monday, July 20, 2009

THE BRIDGE

Seattle has water everywhere and bridges to cross the water. These are the struts of the Aurora Bridge - Big, picturesque, tempting, dangerous. I don't know which is bigger, the Aurora Bridge or the Ship Canal Bridge over which travels I-5... Aurora is definitely prettier. I practically hold my breath when crossing this bridge - it has 6 lanes of 2-way traffic with a yellow painted line between them, and a long drop to the water. It's amazing that there aren't more accidents here. It is also the bridge favored by jumpers. Seattle has a high suicide rate and bridges to accomodate - not really a good combination.


I took this picture on a Wednesday evening in mid-July around 7PM when I found myself wandering around the ship canal waterfront in Fremont. Not a bad place to be on a July evening. I've discovered that wandering around Seattle with my camera in my hand (not in my backpack) reveals visual riches, unexpected and delightful.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love them bridges...

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger TAG said...

Taxis drive me across this bridge all the time. I've become enured to it. Your picture reminded me of its functionality, its height, its beauty. Thank you.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Anna said...

wow, so gorgeous. i agree, aurora is definitely prettier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home