Thursday, August 30, 2007

LOOKING FOR A JOB MAKES ME FEEL LIKE JOB

So, the word is trickling down to the little folks in my office (and we are all little folks in that we are not at the main office) that our days are numbered. We know our lease is up in February because the building is being torn down to put up one of those one block long, five story, office/residential buildings with a retail base. That's what happens when a city lifts or raises the height restriction in surrounding neighborhoods – old buildings get torn down and new buildings go up, and, up. If you live in a place where the economy is a teensy bit slow, just raise the height restrictions and the construction business will boom, making other parts of the econ better. Our good mayor is on a campaign against sprawl. Bravo for him. I've lived in sprawl, I'd rather have density any day.

I do say "our good mayor" a bit facetiously though, as there really isn’t much more than the density thing on which I agree with him anymore. In fact, I'm kind of mad that I voted for him twice. The first time, because I thought he'd be good for the city, the second time because it was the lesser of the two evils. He has good ideas, but he lets big business, which in this case is major land owners, thwart them until it looks like the only thing he cares about is keeping the landowners happy. He says he want our city to be green, and he goes about on weekends picking up trash with the common folks, but it really is just a photo op, especially when he turns around a nixes a public transportation thing that was approved by the voters three times. Yes, three times. Not once, not twice, but three times. Or was it four? I think I've lost count on how many times we had to vote on that. It's a bit pandering to say you want to be green and then scrap portions of the bicycle plan for the city. How much greener can one get than a bicycle?

But I digress. February. Yep. That seems to be the consensus in the office. I mean, why move the people if you're going to lay them off? They will probably offer us the opportunity to keep our jobs if we move to Reno, but, and this is a big but, why would we move to Reno when we live in paradise?

So, I guess it's not that big of a deal. It isn't the first time I've been laid off. More like the 6th or 7th time. And maybe the title of this blog is a little misleading, since I'm not yet actually looking for a job, (though maybe I should be), just anticipating the ordeal because I really dislike the process. Although a job that paid a bit more would be nice… Or one that I could walk to would be great… One with better bennies… A job with travel wouldn't be bad…

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home